1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter or shortening
2 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons water
2 cups unsifted flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup ground nuts
Jelly or jam—your favorite flavor
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter or shortening. Add egg yolks, water, flour, vanilla and salt. Mix well and compress into a ball.
Break pieces off to form small, walnut-size balls. Dip each ball in unbeaten egg whites, then roll in ground nuts. Slightly flatten ball to form disk, then press finger in center to form a small well. Fill the well with a drop of jelly. Don’t put in too much or it will melt over the side of the cookie. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes on a greased cookie sheet. Remove from oven and cool cookies on wire racks. Yield: about 4 dozen.
"Panic Cookies" Note:
I initially planned to make this cookie and it wasn’t quite turning out like I hoped. It was 9 pm and I panicked. The jelly was spilling over and creating a mess, so I bailed and threw in a bag of pecans and 1/2 bag of coconut into the dough and hoped for the best. After the cookies cooled, I rolled them in some powdered sugar. They taste pretty good. My son ate the ones that came out in the first two batches and loved them.
Submitted by Deede
No comments:
Post a Comment